Saturday, March 9, 2013

45 million year old beer? Poor me a pitcher!

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/01/18/1447061/poly-professor-brews-beer-with.html

Okay, so the beer isn't actually 45 million years old, but the yeast used to make it is! After ready this post, I immediately thought of Jurassic park. Pulling an organism from AMBER and recreating it in the present day? Seems all too familiar. I thought, how could this be possible? I didn't think we had the technology to do this. The difference between Jurassic park and this situation is the yeast the is being made is a microorganism that is able to lay dormant for years (45 million in this case) without food or air. To reconstruct the DNA from a dinosaur would be almost impossible because DNA is so complicated. I learned of this beer about 2 years ago and I would love to try, but still haven't had the opportunity. I hope to try it sometime in the future. It apparently has a very distinct flavor because the make-up of the yeast is so different then present day yeast.   

No comments:

Post a Comment